[U-Boot] is it mandatory for SPL to support DM

Jagan Teki jagan at amarulasolutions.com
Mon May 25 19:28:12 CEST 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 9:06 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 04:35, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 5/25/20 10:44 AM, Jagan Teki wrote:
> > > SPL has a foot-print constraint, so fully switching a particular
> > > subsystem like SPI or SPI Flash to DM would increase the size of it.
> > >
> > > Possible areas to look at are (assume SPL_DM supported)
> > > 1) platdata
> > > 2) implement board or platform specific spl device driver which
> > > bypassed the actual framework ex: spl_spi_sunxi.c
> > >
> > > Do we have any other solutions? or any arguments on above step 2?
> >
> > SPL does not need to support DM until the size problem is solved.
>
> I don't think the problem will ever be 'solved'. It is an ongoing battle.
>
> But as it happens I've just sent a proposal for tiny-dm that I think will help.
>
> Jagan, which board are you trying to convert? If you are trying to
> convert SPI flash, I think we need to remove the legacy code first.

These are the partially dm converted drivers, so boards which are
using can eventually need a dm spi switch.

        drivers/spi/fsl_dspi.c
        drivers/spi/kirkwood_spi.c
        drivers/spi/mxc_spi.c
        drivers/spi/mxs_spi.c
        drivers/spi/omap3_spi.c
        drivers/spi/sh_qspi.c

I'm looking for proper options along with removal of some legacy code,
and tiny-dm.

Jagan.