[U-Boot] is it mandatory for SPL to support DM

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon May 25 21:55:42 CEST 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 09:48:29PM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 5/25/20 9:28 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

> >> At least mxc_spi and sh_qspi must stay, since those are heavily used in
> >> embedded/industrial/automotive.
> >
> > So, this brings us back to the main topic of this thread.  Both of the
> > drivers you mention ARE converted to DM, but cannot fit adding DM to
> > SPL.  Where do we put non-DM SPL code as we have real size constraints
> > in SPL/TPL?  I should bring this up in Simon's new thread too, but I
> > wonder if we shouldn't just make drivers/spl/{mmc,spi,xxx}/ and have the
> > non-DM-framework drivers for SPL reside somewhere and move on.  The
> > notions of "we have a nice abstract framework" and "we need to be as
> > small as possible" can and do conflict.
>
> But then how do you propose to keep sharing code between the two worlds?

Sharing defines is easy.  Sharing information buried in the device tree
requires some of the dtoc changes either in progress or variations on
them.  Sharing other functionality?  Depends on what fits well
(logically) in inline functions.  But I don't see some duplication of
either functional (i.e. read()/write()) nor initialization code as a
hard blocker.

But the only choice that doesn't have some duplication of code would be
"throw out current DM, replace with a new DM that's small enough in all
cases".  And we're at a few years now of "DM is too big and bloaty!"
without "here are my patches to slim down DM for all cases".

--
Tom