early stage debugging on a real product

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 18:11:26 CET 2020

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 5:36 PM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 5:23 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> > > How? There is no UART (there are ports, but all of them are occupied
> > > by real devices wired up). The only connector is microB and getting
> > > USB to work in a gadget mode seems to me a harder task to achieve.
> >
> > The board designers should be severely punished. Do you have post codes?
> >
> > Some boards have an FTDI chip to do the USB/serial conversion but I
> > guess your one does not.
>
> It's not a board. As I stated in the subject line it's a real product
> (tablet / phone).

Does this tablet / phone have an MMC slot? For example, on all
Allwinner tablets it is technically possible to use MMC pins for UART
via a different non-standard pin mux setup and a breakout board:

  https://linux-sunxi.org/MicroSD_Breakout
  https://linux-sunxi.org/File:MSI_Primo81_and_MicroSD_breakout.jpg

Also are you sure that there are really no UART pads on the PCB to
solder some wires if you disassemble your tablet / phone?