Fit images and EFI_LOAD_FILE2_PROTOCOL

François Ozog francois.ozog at linaro.org
Mon Oct 5 16:12:11 CEST 2020

The driving idea is that there is an existing bootflow, non UEFI that
allows vmlinuz, initrd and DTB to be protected in a single FIT. The
trustworthiness of the solution is higher that regular distro on pure UEFI
systems but does not allow initrd changes as you install stuff. We need to
keep in mind the use cases: most of the cases are for production devices
where updates are not "calculated" in place but rather deployed with
various means.

I'd like to define two EBBR boot flows:
1) typical distro (with its weakness)
2) typical embedded (as of today, addressing security and mix/match
protection)

The 1) is described in slide 4 of the deck
The 2) is described in slide 5.

The UEFI interface is still OS independent but comes with an additional
opportunity: the ESP File System is "merged" with contents of a FIT (kind
of overlayfs). This way the content of the FIT can be checked and EFIStub
with EFI-LOAD_FILE2 the initrd. The bootXXXX will still indirectly point to
the FIT contained .EFI application, the firmware DTB may be overwritten by
a FIT DTB.

Is this a better scenario to establish 2)?

Cheers

FF

--
François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Linaro Edge & Fog Computing Group*
T: +33.67221.6485