Fit images and EFI_LOAD_FILE2_PROTOCOL

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Tue Oct 6 14:05:47 CEST 2020

On 06.10.20 12:38, Grant Likely wrote:

> On 06/10/2020 05:35, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
>> Am 6. Oktober 2020 00:37:58 MESZ schrieb Grant Likely
>> <grant.likely at arm.com>:

>>> initramfs

>>> not

>>> ideas:

>>> Hi Heinrich,
>>>
>>> I've got concerns about this approach. Even though it uses the UEFI
>>> infrastructure, images deployed in this way are U-Boot specific and
>>> won't ever be applicable on EDK2 or other UEFI implementations.
>>>
>>> However there is another way to approach it which I think Francois
>>> touched on. If instead a UEFI stub was added to the FIT image, in the
>>> same way that the kernel has a UEFI stub, then the logic of decoding
>>> the
>>> FIT and choosing the correct DTB & initrd can be part of the image and
>>> it becomes applicable to any UEFI implementation. It would also address
>>>
>>> Ard's concern of loading the FIT into memory, and then copying due to
>>> the EFI_FILE_LOAD2 path. The FIT stub would already know the image is
>>> in
>>> RAM, that is is reserved correctly, and just pass the correct addresses
>>>
>>> to the kernel as part of the normal boot flow.
>>>
>>> Signing would also be taken care of because the whole FIT can be
>>> signed,
>>> and that signature would be checked when it gets loaded.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> The gain of a fit image in U-Boot used for calling the Linux kernel
>> via the EFI stub vs calling the legacy entry point comes down to
>> providing the EFI_RNG_PROTOCOL to be used for KASLR.
>
> I agree with that, but that is not my concern.
>
> My concern is that the FIT image format will only be supported by
> U-Boot. Other UEFI implementations do not implement it.
>
> On the other hand, adding a UEFI Stub to the FIT image format makes it a
> generic solution that can be used by any UEFI implementation. This would
> be separate from the linux kernel's UEFI stub, and should only deal with
> choosing the appropriate kernel/initrd/dtb from the FIT and then calling
> into the kernel's stub to actually boot the kernel.
>
>> For initrd a stub UEFI binary will work. But if you want to provide a
>> kernel specific  dtb with the same stub binary it will require a new
>> service for device-tree fixups.
>
> Devicetree fixups indeed needs to be solved. I would propose registering
> a new protocol for fixups. If the protocol is present, then stub can
> call it. If not, then the DTB from the fit should be used unmodified.

For such a protocol we will need to decide who will make the memory
reservation needed to encompass the increasing size of the device tree.

As the caller of the protocol does not know how much memory is needed
for the fixup I think the allocation should be done by the callee.

A definition of the protocol could look like this:

#define EFI_FDT_FIXUP_PROTOCOL_GUID \
{0xfa68b9a7, 0xb5fd, 0x49f5, \
{0x87, 0x93, 0x11, 0xfd, 0xb5, 0x6a, 0x8d, 0x41}

typedef
EFI_STATUS
(EFIAPI *EFI_FDT_FIXUP) (
 IN EFI_FDT_FIXUP_PROTOCOL *This,
 IN OUT VOID **Fdt,
 IN BOOLEAN Install,
};

typedef struct _EFI_FDT_FIXUP_PROTOCOL {
   EFI_FIX_UP Fixup;
} EFI_FDT_FIXUP_PROTOCOL;

where

* This    - pointer to the calling context
* Fdt     - On entry pointer to the address of the original device tree,
            on exit pointer to the address of the new device tree.
            If an error is returned, the value of *Fdt is undefined.
* Install - If TRUE, install the resulting device tree as
            configuration table.

The 'Fixup' service

* makes a memory reservation using EFI_BOOT_SERVICES.AllocatePages(),
* copies the device tree to the new memory area,
* applies the fixups,
* installs the resulting device tree as configuration table
  if Install==TRUE.

In case of an error the protocol implementation releases the memory by
calling EFI_BOOT_SERVICES.FreePages().

Return values:

* EFI_INVALID_PARAMETER - Fdt is NULL.
* EFI_INVALID_PARAMETER - *Fdt does not point to a valid device tree.
* EFI_OUT_OF_RESOURCES - Not enough memory for the operation.
* EFI_SUCCESS - The fixup was successful and the device-tree was
                installed if requested.

Best regards

Heinrich