CONFIG_UPDATE_TFTP

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Oct 15 14:40:36 CEST 2020

On 10/15/20 8:30 AM, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> Hello Tom, Marek, Nobuhiro,

Hi,

> in v2020.10 the following lines do not exist:
>
> configs/r8a77990_ebisu_defconfig:20:CONFIG_UPDATE_TFTP=y
> configs/r8a77995_draak_defconfig:19:CONFIG_UPDATE_TFTP=y
> configs/rcar3_salvator-x_defconfig:18:CONFIG_UPDATE_TFTP=y
> configs/rcar3_ulcb_defconfig:19:CONFIG_UPDATE_TFTP=y
>
> I find them in current origin/master (0f35d96bfd856) as introduced via patch
>
> 42805b17e62e Wed Nov 29 06:29:46 2017 +0100
> ARM: rmobile: Enable dfu tftp on Gen3
>
> It looks like some elder patches have been reapplied.

No, a feature was enabled to prevent removal of functionality that is
being actively used.

> @Marek, @Nobuhiro
>
> My target is to remove the call
>
> update_tftp(0UL, NULL, NULL);

I use this functionality for CI, so no. I was already forced to rework
CI when we had previous ABI breakage due to removal of FITUPD, and was
forced to switch to dfu tftp. What do you propose I switch to now, with
another ABI breakage coming ?

> from main_loop() which can be used to update NOR flash from tFTP
> *without* issuing any command. This will not change the 'dfu tftp'
> command and you will be still able to get the old functionality via
> CONFIG_USE_PREBOOT.
>
> As these four boards are now referencing CONFIG_UPDATE_TFTP I want to
> understand if this this unattended update is what you want to use on
> these boards. Marek's patch only mentions the 'dfu tftp' command.

I use that to download fitImage from TFTP and install various components
into NOR during CI run.