RPi3b, U-Boot, EFI and Serial Input

Anthony Davies anthony.t.davies+ml_uboot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 04:17:49 CEST 2020

Hi,

I am running mainline grub built from source. Are you using it successfully
on Raspberry Pi 3b or another SBC?

At this stage my testing is as follows all using the exact same firmware,
kernel and ramdisk:
- u-boot -> kernel+ramdisk - No input
- u-boot -> grub/ipxe -> kernel+ramdisk - No input to the efi or linux once
booted
- pixpe (sdcard with firmware, edk2 and ipxe.efi) - Input works
- firmware -> kernel+ramdisk - Input works

The only common component that seems to stop the input working is u-boot
once it has booted into something else as it works fine on the u-boot
command line.

I did as you suggested and used a script to boot all the way to a linux
shell but unfortunately I still can't provide input via serial.

I have the exact same setup on other SBCs (lime2 and Rock Pi 4) though
obviously slightly different kernels and I dont experience the same issue,
it seems localised to Raspberry Pi. I cant test other Pi boards as I only
own the 3B.

My only assumption is I am missing something in my u-boot compile config
but I have no idea what that would be, all the appropriate drivers seem to
be there and functioning within u-boot itself, just post is an issue.

Cheers