spl_ll_find_loader() function in common/spl/spl.c is returning NULL

Murali Krishna murali.krishna8 at tcs.com
Wed Sep 2 11:39:30 CEST 2020

Hi,

We have an imx.6 based custom board and we have emmc, SD card and SPI NOR Flash(MX66L51235FZ2i-10g from Macronix) as boot devices on our board based on imx6 (MC imx6D7CVT08AE) processor.

our requirement is to boot SPL + U-boot from the SPI NOR Flash and then load the linux kernel from emmc interface.

we are able to boot the board (SPL + U-boot + Linux) through SD-card and emmc interface.

we have flashed SPL at offset value of 0x400 in Flash address using following command:

dd if=/boot/SPL of=/dev/mtd0 bs=1K seek=1

and flashed U-boot.img at offset value 0f 0x11400 using the following command:

dd if=/boot/u-boot.img of=/dev/mtd0 bs=1K seek=69

After configuring the board boot settings to load from the SPI NOR Flash when we Power on the board

we are getting following message:

U-Boot SPL 2018.01-02296-g457cdd6-dirty (Aug 27 2020 - 10:22:07)

>>spl:board_init_r()

SPL: Unsupported Boot Device!

Trying to boot from USB SDP

SDP: initialize...

After further debugging found that spl_ll_find_loader() function in file "u-boot\common\spl\spl.c" is unable to find the loader.

spl_ll_find_loader() is returning "0" when the board is configured to boot from SPI NOR Flash.

Following are the debug trace messages from the board when it is booted through SPI NOR Flash:

U-Boot SPL 2018.01-02296-g457cdd6-dirty (Aug 27 2020 - 10:22:07)

Entering spl_boot_device()

bmode(sbmr2):570425345

Board boot order:8

spl_ll_find_loader() returning NULL

boot_from_devices() : loader:0

SPL: Unsupported Boot Device!

spl_boot_list[1]:12

inside boot_from_devices() : loader:9528148

Trying to boot from USB SDP

spl_load_image():bootdev.boot_device:12

SDP: initialize...

Please let us know why spl_ll_find_loader() function in file "u-boot\common\spl\spl.c" is unable To return valid loader address when the board is configured to boot from SPI NOR Flash.

Are we missing any specific configuration ?

Thanks in Advance,

N.V.Murali Krishna,

Murali.krishna8 at tcs.com

and any attachments. Thank you