mvebu_armada-37xx: Wrong usage of of_machine_is_compatible in u-boot master

Andre Heider a.heider at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:39:24 CEST 2020

On 29/09/2020 14:24, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2020 14:17:46 Andre Heider wrote:
>> Hi Pali,
>>
>> On 29/09/2020 11:52, Pali Rohár wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> In current U-Boot master branch is board_late_init() function for
>>> mvebu_armada-37xx/board.c slightly broken.
>>>
>>> There are two of_machine_is_compatible() checks for non-existent
>>> compatible string "globalscale,espressobin"
>>
>> thanks for spotting that! It's because I based the patch on another set:
>> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=199579
>
> Now I see that above patch was not merged. But I also see that it does
> not change/update "marvell,armada-3720-db" compatible string, so I think
> it is not complete for mvebe_armada-37xx/board.c file updating...

It doesn't change that compatible because Marvell is indeed the vendor
of those development boards ;) You'll find that one in the Linux tree as
well.

My patch just changes the Espressobin ones, since Globalscale is the
actual vendor (but I don't know why Linux settled "Globalscale Marvell").

> So now before 2020.10 release it would be faster and more safe to do
>
> $ sed 's/"globalscale,espressobin"/"marvell,armada-3720-espressobin"/g' -i board/Marvell/mvebu_armada-37xx/board.c
>
> and let synchronization of armada-3720 DTS files with kernel after
> U-Boot 2020.10 release.

Done and sent.

Thanks,
Andre