[RFC] efi_loader: improve firmware capsule authentication

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Fri Apr 23 09:00:36 CEST 2021

Sughosh,

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:55:04AM +0530, Sughosh Ganu wrote:
> Takahiro,
>
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 11:17, AKASHI Takahiro <takahiro.akashi at linaro.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Heinrich,
> >
> > I'm currently thinking of improving capsule authentication
> > that Sughosh has made, particularly around mkeficapsule command:
> >
> > 1) Add a signing feature to the command
> >    This will allow us to create a *signed* capsule file solely
> >    with mkeficapsule. We will no longer rely on EDK2's script.
> > 2) Delete "-K" and "-D" option
> >    Specifically, revert 322c813f4bec ("mkeficapsule: Add support
> >    for embedding public key in a dtb")
> >    As I said, this feature doesn't have anything to do with
> >    creating a capsule file. Above all, we can do the same thing
> >    with the existing commands (dtc and fdtoverlay).
> >

> I would vote against this particular revert that you are suggesting. I have
> already submitted a patchset which is under review[1], which is adding
> support for embedding the key in the platform's dtb, using the above
> functionality in mkeficapsule.

That is why I insisted "(2) should be done in 2021.04"
as we should stop it being merged immediately.

> I don't see any reason why we should be
> adding this logic in another utility,

?
I never tried to add anything about this issue. Just remove.
FYI, we can get the exact same result with:
=== pubkey.dts ===
/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

&{/} {
	signature {
		capsule-key = /incbin/("CRT.esl");
	};
};
===
$ dtc -@ -I dts -O dtb -o pubkey.dtbo pubkey.dts
$ fdtoverlay -i test.dtb -o test_pubkey.dtb -v pubkey.dtbo

No "C" code needed here. You also re-invented the almost same function
as fdt_overlay_apply() in mkeficapsule, and yet your function is
incompatible with dtc/fdtoverlay commands in terms of overlay syntax.

I have already confirmed the capsule file signed by my mkeficapsule
+ above dtb work perfectly with efi_capsule_authenticate()
in my pytest with sandbox.

And again, the feature has nothing to do with generating a capsule file.
It is simply to perform fdt overlay which is already supported by standard
commands.

Those are the reasons why we should revert the patch.

> and cannot use the mkeficapsule
> utility for embedding the public key in the platform's dtb.

?
No need to use mkeficapsule any more.

-Takahiro Akashi