RFC: Support for U-Boot phases in Kconfig

Sean Anderson sean.anderson at seco.com
Tue Aug 10 00:31:13 CEST 2021

On 8/7/21 6:23 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> [...]
>        prompt "Enable SPL"
>        help
>          If you want to build SPL as well as the normal image, say Y.
>
> It works just the same as a bool, but kconfig also uses it to automatically add
> new Kconfigs for each phase. In the above example it creates both
> SYS_STDIO_DEREGISTER and SPL_SYS_STDIO_DEREGISTER. The option name has the text
> '(SPL) ' shown before the SPL option.
>
> This can easily handle Kconfigs with similar dependencies and even different
> ones. If the Kconfig options are not actually very similar we can still
> create two separate copies instead, as now.
>
> This allows us to substantially reduce the size and duplication in the Kconfig
> defintions. It also reduces the pain of adding another phase to U-Boot.
>
> Note: This change needs to be done in Linux, which owns Kconfig upstream.
>

> 2.Rename SPL_TPL_
>
> This Makefile variable is used to reduce the number of duplicate rules in
> makefiles:
>
>      obj-$(CONFIG_$(SPL_TPL_)FIT_SIGNATURE) += fdt_region.o
>
> The SPL_TPL_ expands to empty for U-Boot and either SPL_ or TPL_ for the other
> phases.
>
> This is confusing though, since CONFIG_SPL_BUILD it set even for TPL builds, so
> for example. with:
>
>      obj-$(CONFIG_$(SPL_)FIT_SIGNATURE) += fdt_region.o
>
> the file is built for both SPL and TPL.
>
> To help with this, We can rename SPL_TPL to PHASE_:
>
>      obj-$(CONFIG_$(PHASE_)FIT_SIGNATURE) += fdt_region.o
>
> or perhaps P_ which is more readable:
>
>      obj-$(CONFIG_$(P_)FIT_SIGNATURE) += fdt_region.o
>

> 3. Rename CONFIG_IS_ENABLED()
>
> This macro is used to determine whether an option is enabled in the current
> build phase:
>
>     if (CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(FIT_SIGNATURE)) {
>        printf("## Checking hash(es) for Image %s ... ",
>               fit_get_name(fit, node, NULL));
>
> It is quite long-winded and people sometimes add CONFIG_ to the option inside
> the brakets by mistake. It is also a bit confusing that IS_ENABLED() and
> CONFIG_IS_ENABLED() mean completely different things.
>
> Instead we can rename it to CONFIG:
>
>     if (CONFIG(FIT_SIGNATURE)) {
>        printf("## Checking hash(es) for Image %s ... ",
>               fit_get_name(fit, node, NULL));
>
> This is shorter and looks more like CONFIG_FIT_SIGATURE so people should find
> it easier to understand. Being shorter is a big help when converting from
> use #if to if(), since an indentation is always enabled. This change makes
> the CONFIG() check no longer than IS_ENABLED().
>
> It also makes CONFIG(OPTION) not much longer than CONFIG_OPTION, which makes
> things much more convenient, since ideally if the toolchain permitted it, we
> would just use CONFIG_OPTION in the code. This is not possible at present since
> the option may not be defined, so can cause a compiler error.
>
> Over time, perhaps the existing IS_ENABLED() will phase out, since in many
> cases SPL will have its own options. We already see that CONFIG_IS_ENABLED is

I like this. Making this macro shorter is a good ergonomic improvement.

> 4. Add macros to help avoid more #ifdefs
>
> We sometimes have to use #ifdefs in structs or drivers:
>
>      struct spl_image_loader {
>      #ifdef CONFIG_SPL_LIBCOMMON_SUPPORT
>          const char *name;
>      #endif
>      };
>
>      UCLASS_DRIVER(spi) = {
>          .id      = UCLASS_SPI,
>          .name      = "spi",
>          .flags      = DM_UC_FLAG_SEQ_ALIAS,
>      #if CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_CONTROL) && !CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_PLATDATA)
>          .post_bind   = dm_scan_fdt_dev,
>      #endif
>      };
>
> This is a pain. We can add an IF_CONFIG macro to help with this:
>
>      struct spl_image_loader {
>          IF_CONFIG(LIBCOMMON_SUPPORT, const char *name;)
>      };
>
>      UCLASS_DRIVER(spi) = {
>          .id      = UCLASS_SPI,
>          .name      = "spi",
>          .flags      = DM_UC_FLAG_SEQ_ALIAS,
>          IF_CONFIG(REAL, .post_bind   = dm_scan_fdt_dev,)

Wouldn't cpp eat the trailing comma here? This seems pretty tricky to
use. And of course, you still need something like

	struct spl_image_loader *loader;
	loader = ... ;
#if CONFIG(LIBCOMMON_SUPPORT)
	foo(loader->name);
#endif

unless you have some other macro to wrap the name access.

>      };
>
> It still isn't wonderfully readable but it seems like an improvement. The
> IF_CONFIG() macros could be implemented easily with the current
> CONFIG_IS_EANBLED() macro.
>

> 5. IF_CONFIG_INT() or similar
>
> See here: https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-May/412950.html

This would be nice as well.

> 6. Discarding static functions
>
> We sometimes see code like this:
>
>      #if CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_REAL)
>      static const struct udevice_id apl_ns16550_serial_ids[] = {
>          { .compatible = "intel,apl-ns16550" },
>          { },
>          };
>      #endif
>
>      U_BOOT_DRIVER(intel_apl_ns16550) = {
>          .name   = "intel_apl_ns16550",
>          .id   = UCLASS_SERIAL,
>          .of_match = of_match_ptr(apl_ns16550_serial_ids),
>          .plat_auto   = sizeof(struct apl_ns16550_plat),
>          .priv_auto   = sizeof(struct ns16550),
>          };
>
> The of_match_ptr() avoids an #ifdef in the driver declaration since it evaluates
> to NULL if !CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_REAL) but we still need an #ifdef around the
> function, since it is static and would otherwise produce a warning.
>
> One solution is to drop the 'static'. But this is not very nice, since the
> structure clearly should not be used from another file.
>
> We can add STATIC_IF_CONFIG() to help with this:
>
>      STATIC_IF_CONFIG(OF_REAL) const struct udevice_id
> apl_ns16550_serial_ids[] = {
>          { .compatible = "intel,apl-ns16550" },
>          { },
>          };
>      #endif
>
> It expands to 'static' if CONFIG(OF_REAL) is enabled, otherwise it expand to
> nothing, in the hope that the compiler drops the data. Failing that it would
> also be possible to have it expand to '__section(".discard.config")' so at least
> the struct is discarded, even if the compatible string is not. The behaviour of
> gcc/binutils in this area is not always as might be hoped.

What about __maybe_unused? Do functions marked that way get GC'd?

--Sean