RFC: Support for U-Boot phases in Kconfig

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Aug 10 21:38:09 CEST 2021

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 08:58:46AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> [...]
> > >         .id      = UCLASS_SPI,
> > >         .name      = "spi",
> > >         .flags      = DM_UC_FLAG_SEQ_ALIAS,
> > >     #if CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_CONTROL) && !CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_PLATDATA)
> > >         .post_bind   = dm_scan_fdt_dev,
> > >     #endif
> > >     };
> > >
> > > This is a pain. We can add an IF_CONFIG macro to help with this:
> > >
> > >     struct spl_image_loader {
> > >         IF_CONFIG(LIBCOMMON_SUPPORT, const char *name;)
> > >     };
> > >
> > >     UCLASS_DRIVER(spi) = {
> > >         .id      = UCLASS_SPI,
> > >         .name      = "spi",
> > >         .flags      = DM_UC_FLAG_SEQ_ALIAS,
> > >         IF_CONFIG(REAL, .post_bind   = dm_scan_fdt_dev,)
> > >     };
> > >
> > > It still isn't wonderfully readable but it seems like an improvement. The
> > > IF_CONFIG() macros could be implemented easily with the current
> > > CONFIG_IS_EANBLED() macro.
> > >

> > > 5. IF_CONFIG_INT() or similar
> > >
> > > See here: https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-May/412950.html
> > >

> > > 6. Discarding static functions
> > >
> > > We sometimes see code like this:
> > >
> > >     #if CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_REAL)
> > >     static const struct udevice_id apl_ns16550_serial_ids[] = {
> > >         { .compatible = "intel,apl-ns16550" },
> > >         { },
> > >         };
> > >     #endif
> > >
> > >     U_BOOT_DRIVER(intel_apl_ns16550) = {
> > >         .name   = "intel_apl_ns16550",
> > >         .id   = UCLASS_SERIAL,
> > >         .of_match = of_match_ptr(apl_ns16550_serial_ids),
> > >         .plat_auto   = sizeof(struct apl_ns16550_plat),
> > >         .priv_auto   = sizeof(struct ns16550),
> > >         };
> > >
> > > The of_match_ptr() avoids an #ifdef in the driver declaration since it evaluates
> > > to NULL if !CONFIG_IS_ENABLED(OF_REAL) but we still need an #ifdef around the
> > > function, since it is static and would otherwise produce a warning.
> > >
> > > One solution is to drop the 'static'. But this is not very nice, since the
> > > structure clearly should not be used from another file.
> > >
> > > We can add STATIC_IF_CONFIG() to help with this:
> > >
> > >     STATIC_IF_CONFIG(OF_REAL) const struct udevice_id
> > > apl_ns16550_serial_ids[] = {
> > >         { .compatible = "intel,apl-ns16550" },
> > >         { },
> > >         };
> > >     #endif
> > >
> > > It expands to 'static' if CONFIG(OF_REAL) is enabled, otherwise it expand to
> > > nothing, in the hope that the compiler drops the data. Failing that it would
> > > also be possible to have it expand to '__section(".discard.config")' so at least
> > > the struct is discarded, even if the compatible string is not. The behaviour of
> > > gcc/binutils in this area is not always as might be hoped.
> > >

> > > Comments welcome!
> >
> > I think what this is really showing is that Yamada-san was right.  All
>
> One thread where this was discussed was here I think:
>
> https://yhbt.net/lore/all/20140624192425.9368.AA925319@jp.panasonic.com/T/
>
> I cannot find all the arguments for either side now. Do you have a

I don't off-hand.  I'm pretty sure it's come up more than once tho.

> > the games we need to do so that "make fooboard_config all" results in
> > building the N stages needed was the wrong track.  Taking
> > khadas-edge-v-rk3399 as an example, if we had instead of
> > khadas-edge-v-rk3399_defconfig but khadas-edge-v-rk3399_tpl_defconfig
> > khadas-edge-v-rk3399_spl_defconfig and khadas-edge-v-rk3399_config, each
> > of which could set CONFIG_TPL, CONFIG_SPL or neither.  Then yes, to
> > build u-boot-rockchip.bin you would need to pass in the separately build
> > TPL and SPL stages.  But, that's true of so so many other platforms.  To
> > pick another example, imx8mm_evk doesn't function without other
> > binaries.  If in theory to build khadas-edge-v-rk3399 you had to do
> > something like:
> > $ export CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-
> > $ make O=obj/tpl khadas-edge-v-rk3399_tpl_config all
> > $ make O=obj/spl khadas-edge-v-rk3399_spl_config all
> > $ make O=obj/khadas-edge-v-rk3399 TPL=obj/tpl/u-boot.bin \
> >     SPL=obj/spl/u-boot.bin khadas-edge-v-rk3399_config all
>
> We also need to think about the tools which are presumably built separately.

I'd like to see a way to build less host tools by default, but I fear
the problem of distro folks if we go that way as it's more of a world
builder / CI person problem that we build so many tools every time.

> We might have to build in the opposite order, because SPL needs to
> grep the full devicetree, although I suppose we could just recompile
> it.

If we use dtb files from one stage in another stage directly (rather
than being an included / packaged file) that seems like a potential
problem.

> > But it also meant that we didn't need to duplicate so so many Kconfig
> > options and most of our obj rules would just be:
> > obj-$(CONFIG_FOO) += foo.o
> >
> > would be a win.
>
> That definitely looks nice.
>
> But how much of a win is this?

I think a good sized one.  Especially since it will let us remove some
customization in the build code.

> I understand how it could work and I think we did talk about this at
> the time. But there are problems too that I'd like to review if we can
> find them. Some I can think of:
>
> - maintaining three or more separate defconfig files for each board

Somewhat, yes.  The SPL/TPL configs should be small.  With some not
overly judicious use of imply's in board/.../Kconfig it shouldn't be
very much.  I think it might emphasize that we do need a good way /
place to set defaults for SoCs and boards.

> - not sure how to handle dependencies between phases (e.g.
> SPL_BLOBLIST has ''default y if BLOBLIST', or one phase expecting an
> image to be in there)

My first, but perhaps bad idea would be that we have say
TARGET_AM335X_EVM in arch/arm/mach-omap2/am33xx/Kconfig still and a new
TARGET_AM335X_EVM_OPTS in board/ti/am335x/Kconfig that would
select/imply things that need to be enabled in all stages.

> - running 'make menuconfig' updates one phase but not the others,
> making things harder to understand

I'm not sure this is a problem so much.  TPL/SPL shouldn't have much
configuring to them, and even less re-configuring.

> - splitting up of the build as you note above, making it harder for
> people to understand

This I think is debatable.  That we build and configure things the way
we do isn't always obvious.  More and better documentation, either way,
would be good.

> Interesting to see this comment:
>
> http://u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/PATCH-v8-0-13-Kconfig-for-U-Boot-tt185309.html#a185306
>
> "It would take really long term (one year? two year? I don't know)
> to migrate from board headers to Kconfig.
>
> So, two different infractructure must coexist in the interim."
>
> That was 2014! I think we need a way to remove old CONFIGs and let
> board maintainers add them back in Kconfig if needed.

I need to take another pass at converting a bunch of symbols, to see
where we're at.  Probably the biggest chunk of progress next would be to
start converting CONFIG_SYS_xxx to SYS_xxx and moving defines out of
config.h and in to something else.  I'm taking a peek at some of the
remaining PCI ones now.

--
Tom