[RFC] imx8mm-evk: Generate a bootable flash.bin again

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 03:44:55 CEST 2021

Hi Heiko,

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 12:56 AM Heiko Schocher <hs at denx.de> wrote:

> I am unsure here, if it makes sense to overwrite flash.bin with the
> binary which contains SPL and u-boot.itb. May others want to use
> them (as I currently use them for signing them)

I thought about that too. Frieder suggested I use a different name for
the SPL file, such as spl.bin.

I am concerned that renaming flash.bin to spl.bin may break i.MX8MM
targets that do not use binman, such as the verdin-imx8mm board.

> Why not imx-boot as image name as in NXP sources?

NXP U-Boot also generates the final binary called "flash.bin"

My main motivation for sending this RFC patch is to avoid imx8mm-evk
breakage when people upgrade
to U-Boor 2021.07.

Prior to 2021.07: only flash.bin was required. Yocto recipe, for
example, will no longer produce a bootable image
after the upgrade to 2021.07. This is the breakage I would like to avoid.

Thanks