u-boot & ZFS

ChrisO armbian at osk.ch
Wed Aug 18 11:41:55 CEST 2021

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 08:35:14PM -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 06:03:10PM +0200, ChrisO wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I searched for u-boot ZFS references and all I found was several years old, but I suppose u-boot can cope with ZFS.
> > So, my question is: is it possible to boot Linux from ZFS or at least boot from let's say SD-card with ext4 FS and mount a ZFS volume as root filesystem?
> > I had a look at Armbian, installed all needed, user-space and kernel modules. After booting from SD card I can use ZFS on attached SATA SSD w/o any problem.
> > I also see ZFS libs and kernel modules in initrd,  so it looks like the necessary things are there.
> > Don't know where to start.
> > I would be very thankful for any help.
>
> The general easy answer is to have /boot that is separate from the
> rootfs and using a filesystem more commonly supported.
>
> --
> Tom

Sounds like: go away kid, play with your old toys ;-)
I was doing it the traditional way for long time, now wanted to try something new. Isn't it how we progress?
I came to this list hoping to get an answer to my question. I know, most of you on this list have more important things to do. But giving me some advice could possibly result in me giving something back.

Thanks,
Chris