u-boot & ZFS

ChrisO armbian at osk.ch
Wed Aug 18 15:25:58 CEST 2021

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 12:26:11PM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> Hi ChrisO,

> > > The general easy answer is to have /boot that is separate from the
> > > rootfs and using a filesystem more commonly supported.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom
> >
> > Sounds like: go away kid, play with your old toys ;-)
> > I was doing it the traditional way for long time, now wanted to try
> > something new. Isn't it how we progress? I came to this list hoping
> > to get an answer to my question. I know, most of you on this list
> > have more important things to do. But giving me some advice could
> > possibly result in me giving something back.
> >

> Similar question I saw on OpenEmbedded/Yocto ML recenly. The answer
> there was that "ZFS or ZOL is _not_ [*] commonly used on embedded
> systems, so no support was needed"
>
> If find this topic interesting, then the community will try to help
> when you provide any patches for review.
>
> However, considering the above, it may be hard for any _exact_
> guidelines.
>

> Note:
> [*] - Personally, I didn't saw any usage of ZFS on embedded systems.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
>

> Best regards,
>
> Lukasz Majewski
>
> --
>
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
> Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma at denx.de

Hallo Lukasz

My system in question is not an embeded one. I just stated to play with an Odroid-HC4 and Armbian.
It has two SATA connectors, boots from a SD card.
All computer I use which have more than one disk connected are set-up with software RAID and LVM on top of it.
ZFS has both build-in it's why I asked.
Currently I have on this HC4 two partitions on each disk, the smaller ones are in RAID1 and host root FS, the bigger ones are in a mirrored Zpool. It works OK, it would be nicer to have just one filesystem, though.

Still not sure, it can or cannot be done?

Thanks and regards,
Chris