STM32MP157 boot from Recovery USB

gianluca gianlucarenzi at eurek.it
Mon Feb 15 12:43:03 CET 2021

Hello list!
Thank you for let me adding to this Mailing List!

I am designing a custom board with a STM32MP157 (as the Evaluation
Board), but without any USB nor microSD connectors.

My concerns are about to load FSBL and SSBL from USB (with a sort of
extension cable from PCB to PC into a USB Host A Port) with Linux.

(A) My goal is to write u-Boot into the internal eMMC Flash Storage (via
USB Recovery mode) and let u-boot continue the loading of the kernel
(TFTPBoot) and the rootfilesystem via ethernet (NFS).

Is it a viable solution to you guys?

(B) I would like to avoid using an extension cable for microSD/SD card,
due to the high speed involved in this.

The only drawback with (A) is I need a PC for every board to be
programmed. Which tool is expected to work? STM32CubeProgrammer?

With (B) option every board does not need anything because u-boot can be
written in internal eMMC within u-boot itself...

Or, are there any other option to write the internal flash?

What do you use guys?

Regards,
Gianluca Renzi
--