make O=directory parameter

Fred 1 zfred68 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:27:46 CET 2021

On 26/2/21 2:35 am, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 12:50:47PM +1100, Fred 1 wrote:
>
>> like in the linux kernel build
>>
>> make O=builds/arm
>>
>> builds the result to the specified output directory
>>

>> is this supposed to work for uboot also ?
>>
>> doesn't seem to work for me, i've fetched older tar files and same problem
>>
>> maybe my environment?
>>
>>      fedora32
>>
>>      5.10.13-100.fc32.x86_64
>>
>>      GNU Make 4.2.1
>>
>> the O=<dir>  does mostly work on older uboot like from ~2010 though....
>>

>> thought i'd ask as debugging the make process is,well umm...horrible,
>>
>> (i've inserted some extra debug print codes in gnu make (it self no code to
>> be praised about!
>>
>> esp when so much open source depends on it!!)
>>
>> so atm, a bit of a rabbit hole........should I persist?
> Can you provide a sample failure?  The last "make O=... fails" I saw was
> because they were passing ARCH= which isn't valid for U-Boot and
> specifically breaks if you're say building for an aarch64 platform as in
> the linux kernel you would do ARCH=arm64 but it's all "arm" here.
> Thanks!

so ok, i'v dropped using the ARCH=
still

All the configs i tried failed:

make O=builds/rpi2  rpi_2_defconfig
make O=builds/rpi2 mrproper   <==tried this too

make O=builds/rpi2 -w -d V=1 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi-
qemu_mips_defconfig
orangepi_zero_defconfig

qemu_arm_defconfig

Of course the builds all work just fine without O=, and results in the
main directory.

So this is not just a problem on my machine?, i guess everyone just uses
it like so ?

anyway i am sufficiently annoyed with it, i'll have a go at finding out
why......