Broken build on OpenBSD

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:01:58 CET 2021

On 2/25/21 1:31 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>

> To the extent that it is unconventional, that reflects the decision to
> avoid adding U-Boot-specific error numbers and perhaps also to avoid
> having a different error number for each possible failure in U-Boot.

The set of errno codes is much smaller than the set of possible
failures. It is objectively impossible to map the set of possible
failures onto the set of errno codes. And that's why I think this
decision is wrong.

The following arguments are subjective:

Compared to TF-A and OP-TEE, I find u-boot sources more difficult to
work with. One of the reasons is that different parts have different
idiosyncrasies. TF-A and OP-TEE are bad in their own ways, but they are
at the very least, consistent wrt conventions of the C language. Now
we're talking about every u-boot function potentially having its own
semantics. This is going from bad to worse. And now the code is
returning error codes that don't even make sense in context.

What you're describing (not quoted in this reply) is a mechanism to
allow users to handle failures. We first need to define user and how the
user interfaces with the software product. For example, is someone who
presses the power button also expected to resolve storage media
corruption? Only then can we spec out the requirements for this
mechanism. We somehow have the solution to a problem that isn't properly
defined yet.

This is a textbook example of when all you have is a hammer, everything
looks like a nail.

Alex