U-boot integration in the bootloader process of Rasperry Pi CM4

Anthony Arrascue anthony.arrascue at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:50:05 CEST 2021

Ciao Mauro,

Thanks for the resource! That clarifies quite a bit.
- u-boot.bin is renamed as the *kernel7l.img*. In this way *start.elf*
loads u-boot instead of the kernel
- The actual kernel "*kernel7l.img*" is used to create *uImage *using the
tool: *mkimage*.

Now I have only one doubt. Why does u-boot need to convert the kernel image
in order to load it (with *bootm*)?
Could not *bootz *be used to directly load *kernel7l.img*? as this tutorial
describes:
https://www.vdoo.com/blog/setting-up-u-boot-to-harden-the-boot-process

BTW I followed the steps from that tutorial, but I didn't manage to boot
the kernel in that way. So I guess the extra-step *mkimg -> bootm* is
necessary.
I am just trying to figure out why.

Best,

Anthony Arrascue