Nokia RX51 U-Boot USB support updates?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Jul 13 22:33:04 CEST 2021

Hey all,

So, the DM_USB migration deadline issue has been addressed by the series
here:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=252793&state=*
which splits out host and gadget support from the CONFIG_USB symbol
itself.  The migration deadline was for host support, and as noted, N900
is gadget only.  That particular issue is resolved.

But investigating that issue lead me to figure out some other problems,
that I do need someone to say how will be addressed.  Now that the other
board removal series has been applied, and then with:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20210708014348.4010-1-trini@konsulko.com/
also applied (for which the maintainer is happy to take), this brings
N900 as the last and only user of the "old" musb driver (the "new" musb
driver is now almost 9 years old) and also the last and only user of the
usbtty driver.

I suspect that moving to the "new" MUSB driver, for gadget only, and
with that enabling DM_USB_GADGET should be a mechanical affair, so long
as you can fit within the space constraints of the platform.  I'm not
immediately sure how hard it will be to update usbtty.c to modern gadget
APIs.  If there are size problems, then, well, we need solutions
proposed (it's possible that some of the usb-uclass.c code is host-only
and needs moving, but that likely won't stop gadget from needing it for
gadget related information, to bring up a specific example).

It's also likely that the MUSB support needs a little further
clean-up for supporting building as gadget-only when there's some common
code under a host-only check.

What I would like is for someone to step forward and say they'll pick up
this work.  Is there an immediate deadline? No.  I don't think that
would be helpful.  I'm not going to dictate how long it takes for
someone to do the work, that's for the person doing the work to say how
long they think it'll take.

Thanks all!

--
Tom