U-Boot: Arm64: bootm gets stuck if RANDOMIZE_BASE is disabled

Ahsan Hussain ahsan_hussain at mentor.com
Tue Jul 13 11:15:08 CEST 2021

Hello,

I'm dumbfounded by a seemingly unrelated early kernel hang/failing to
boot when CONFIG_RANDOMIZE_BASE=n is set in kernel and we use FIT
uImage. I've verified this behavior on a couple of i.MX8 SoCs (i.MX8M
plus and i.MX8QXP) and the results remain consistent.

I'm able to boot kernel when I use booti command. However when I use
bootm to boot a U-Boot fitImage (with kernel and fdt load
addresses/entrypoint in .its file same as I used for booti command; also
tried disabling relocation for fdt by setting fdt_high=~0UL), the boot
gets stuck at "Starting kernel ...". On disabling RANDOMIZE_BASE kconfig
in Linux the same fitImage is able to boot.

I've tried enabling earlycon and U-Boot debug messages in common/bootm.c
and arch/arm/lib/bootm.c but found no helpful difference in both boot
flows. Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious or where do I
start looking to debug this issue.

Best regards,
Ehson