boot hangs on new board with SAMA5D27C-D5M

Alexander Dahl ada at thorsis.com
Thu Jul 22 19:01:36 CEST 2021

Hello,

I'm currently porting a brand new custom board with Microchip's 64 MiB SAMA5D2
SiP SoC. Second stage bootloader is at91bootstrap, for development I load U-
Boot directly to RAM with SAM-BA to the same address (0x23f00000) and execute
from there. RAM base address is 0x20000000 and size 0x04000000 (64 MiB). Code
is based on the U-Boot v2021.07 upstream code of the SAMA5D2-SOM1-EK1 board
(which has 128 MiB).

I get to a U-Boot shell and can access SD card and LEDs if I do not activate
NAND flash support in menuconfig. The log with debug messages is attached.
>From IRC marex and I suspect some overwritten memory if the u-boot-dtb.bin
file gets too big, but I can not spot any error in those addresses in debug
output.

The last function called is initr_malloc() from common/board_r.c but I can not
spot what's wrong with that, especially because mem_malloc_init() prints a
probably valid memory area and malloc_bin_reloc() should be a noop.

If I disable CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_CLEAR_ON_INIT, I get to a shell, if I enable it
again, boot hangs.

So the memset() of the malloc area, which is supposed to be valid to my
knowledge, causes the hang.

I can try one of the other boards (there are 4 prototype boards) to rule out
an hardware issue, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea what's wrong here?

Greets
Alex