using binman fails boot

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Sat Jul 24 00:51:52 CEST 2021

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 2:41 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 15:06, Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:07 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Tim,

> > > [..]

> > > I sent a patch to make binman report this as an error.
> > >
> > > I pushed the resulting tree to:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/sjg20/u-boot/tree/try-tim
> > >
> > > Now the error is:
> > >
> > > binman: Section '/binman/u-boot-spl-ddr': Symbol
> > > '_binman_u_boot_any_prop_image_pos'
> > >
> > >    in entry '/binman/u-boot-spl-ddr/u-boot-spl/u-boot-spl-nodtb':
> > > Entry 'u-boot-any' not found in list
> > > (u-boot-spl-nodtb,u-boot-spl-dtb,u-boot-spl,blob-ext at 1,blob-ext at 2,blob-ext at 3,blob-ext at 4,main-section)
> > >
> > > The problem seems to be that you are asking binman to generate three
> > > independent images. U-Boot is in a FIT which is not in the same image
> > > as SPL. So it is not possible to locate the flash offset of U-Boot
> > > (with in the FIT).
> > >
> > > Can you give me a bit more info about your intent here? Is it to load
> > > U-Boot from the FIT? I so, I suppose it is possible to make binman
> > > access an independent image, if it is told where it starts.
> > >
> > > But why is everything not in one image?
> > >

> > Simon,
> >
> > I would rather have 1 image. I was going off of the imx8mm_evk switch
> > to binman which creates the separate images.
>
> Well at present you are loading a FIT into RAM, I think? Is it coming
> from flash?
>
> If you load a FIT containing U-Boot then you don't need the binman
> symbol stuff, since SPL looks in the FIT for the location of U-Boot.
> There isn't much benefit in having binman point to U-Boot within the
> FIT, since we already have code to find it. It might save a few bytes
> of code, but it would be confusing...I'm not sure if that is worth the
> hassle.
>
> If you want a single image, then you might not want FIT at all...just
> use binman.
>
> It really depends what you want.

Maybe my terminology is all wrong or I'm not making myself clear. I'm
trying to access data inside the SPL binary in board_init_f() 'before'
the SPL has done anything at all with FIT.

I'm using FIT because I have multiple board models (ie multiple DTB's)
supported by a single U-Boot 'board'.

So my boot goes like this:
IMX8M BOOT ROM fetches flash.bin (SPL) from eMMC into OCRAM
SPL configures PMIC and DRAM based on runtime detection of board model
  - at this point in time SPL is using a generic imx8mm-venice.dts
that just supports i2c/uart2/emmc which are common to all venice
boards
  - pmic config is done without dm because we don't have the
board-specific dtb yet which defines the pmic
  - DRAM config is done based on eeprom bytes that specify the DRAM
size/density/etc
  - DRAM config includes loading the 'blobs' to the M4 CPU - these are
the blobs I want to locate in the SPL
SPL locates FIT and starts chugging through it (I don't claim to fully
understand this part)
  - board_fit_config_name_match() is called for each DTB found and I
return a success if the DTB matches the board model found via I2C
EEPROM
SPL loads ATF and executes it
ATF executes? U-Boot (not super clear on all of this either)
U-Boot Proper runs with the board-specific dtb (not imx8mm-venice.dtb
but imx8mm-venice-gwxxxx.dtb)

> > The whole point of what I'm investigating here has to do with the SPL.
> > OCRAM is at a premium and the current way the IMX8M is handling DDR
> > firmware is to tack it on after the code in the SPL image and it gets
> > padded to make it easy to locate which is a huge waste of space. I
> > figured we can use binman to locate the blobs without the padding.
> >
> > So, if you take 'just' the spl image here:
> >         spl: u-boot-spl-ddr {
> >                 filename = "u-boot-spl-ddr.bin";
> >                 pad-byte = <0xff>;
> >                 align-size = <4>;
> >                 align = <4>;
> >
> >                 u-boot-spl {
> >                         align-end = <4>;
> >                 };
> >
> >                 blob_1: blob-ext at 1 {
> >                         filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_1d_imem.bin";
> >                         size = <0x8000>;
> >                 };
> >
> >                 blob_2: blob-ext at 2 {
> >                         filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_1d_dmem.bin";
> >                         size = <0x4000>;
> >                 };
> >
> >                 blob_3: blob-ext at 3 {
> >                         filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_2d_imem.bin";
> >                         size = <0x8000>;
> >                 };
> >
> >                 blob_4: blob-ext at 4 {
> >                         filename = "lpddr4_pmu_train_2d_dmem.bin";
> >                         size = <0x4000>;
> >                 };
> >         };
> >
> > My intention is to remove the size arguments above which are currently
> > forcing wasted padding and locate the blobs at runtime with binman.
>
> Well you can just remove them.

Not right now because the imx8 dram config expects them to be
following the DDR code and specific sizes... its dumb code that ends
up wasiting 24K of SPL/OCRAM with padding which is why I want to
improve that.

see ddr_load_train_firmware
https://elixir.bootlin.com/u-boot/latest/source/drivers/ddr/imx/imx8m/helper.c#L29

> > Based on your other patch it it would seem I'm missing something from
> > my lds to add __image_copy_start yet in
> > arch/arm/cpu/armv8/u-boot-spl.lds I see:
> >         .text : {
> >                 . = ALIGN(8);
> >                 *(.__image_copy_start)
> >                 CPUDIR/start.o (.text*)
> >                 *(.text*)
> >         } >.sram
> >
> > My understanding of linker files is pretty slim so perhaps there's
> > something missing above.
>
> Yes you need to define the value of the __image_copy_start symbol, so:
>
> .text: {
>     __image_copy_start = .;
>
> See for example arch/arm/cpu/u-boot-spl.lds

Honestly what I 'really' want to do is get the SPL to load all the
dram config/blobs from flash and completely move them out of the SPL
that gets loaded into OCRAM so that I don't overflow the OCRAM with
DRAM configs when we add new boards. So maybe I'll just start focusing
on that.

I was thinking FIT would be a good approach for that but I haven't dug
into how the SPL processes the FIT yet...if it requires DRAM to do so
then I can't really go that route and maybe it's just too complex for
what I want anyway.

Tim