AST 2600 loading issues

Manu Anand manu.anand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 23:19:24 CEST 2021

 Hi folks:

I'm working on AST 2600 uboot image and need some direction.
More specifically, I was trying to load SPI flash image for AST 2600 on
qemu and running into an error wherein qemu just hangs while emulating 2600
evb.
Here are the cmds I'm running

Steps to compile AST 2600 u-boot image
1. git clone https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot
2. cd u-boot/
3. export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
4. export ARCH=arm
5. make evb-ast2600_defconfig -j16
6. make -j16

Create SPI flash image for qemu(out of u-boot image generated above)
1. dd if=/dev/zero of=test.img bs=1M count=32
2. dd if=u-boot.bin of=test.img conv=notrunc
3. qemu-system-arm -M ast2600-evb -m 512 -nographic -drive
file=test.img,format=raw,if=mtd -serial stdio -monitor pty

The last step just hangs and I have to kill qemu. I debugged the qemu flow
and machine_run_board_init() was completing successfully after going
through all init steps in aspeed.c (init_flashes etc) and aspeed_2600_evb.c
(init, realize). It also called arm_load_kernel() and the method passed
successfully. The parameters look correct too. However no output was
produced (unlike AST 2500) and I don't get uboot prompt.

Questions
1. Is this expected?
2. If not, any idea about how to debug further?
3. Was also getting similar result (hangs) when trying to load AST 2600
kernel in qemu (compiled via arch/arm/multi_v7_defconfig). Are these
related?

Thanks for your help!

Best wishes
Manu