kwboot: Testing latest kwboot with Kirkwood SoC boards

Tony Dinh mibodhi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:27:32 CET 2021

Hi Marek and Pali,

First off all, thanks for your hughe work on this. I have a few Armada
38x boards that I had quite a hard time running kwboot in the past.
Hopefully, I will have more luck with the new kwboot.

Here is a problem I've found running kwboot on the Zyxel NSA310S NAS
(Kirkwood 6702). The target is a Pogoplug V4 (Kirkwood 6192 SoC). Same
behavior was observed running kwboot on this Pogoplug V4 to boot the
NSA310S target.

- kwboot build version

./kwboot-2021/kwboot
kwboot version 2022.01-rc1-00034-gbc18582a14

- kwboot session log

./kwboot-2021/kwboot -t -p -B 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0 -b
uboot.2021.07-tld-1.pogo_v4.mtd0.kwb
Patching image boot signature to UART
Aligning image header to Xmodem block size
Sending boot message. Please reboot the target...\
Waiting 2s and flushing tty
Sending boot image header (480 bytes)...
 26 % [....                                                                  ]
Done

U-Boot 2021.04-tld-1 (Jun 10 2021 - 20:46:14 -0700)
Pogoplug V4

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6192_A1
DRAM:  128 MiB
NAND:  128 MiB
MMC:
environment
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   eth0: ethernet-controller at 72000
88E1116 Initialized on ethernet-controller at 72000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  9
 8
 7

As you can see above, it looks like the u-boot header transfer was
completed but the u-boot image transfer did not start. Seems like
BootROM did not recognize the header is UART. The Pogoplug V4
continued to boot with the image on NAND (U-Boot 2021.04-tld-1). So
kwboot_xm_finish() was never executed. At this point we lost the
terminal, and could not interrupt the countdown. The system continued
booting and at one point, serial console output stopped with an error
message that indicated kwboot thinks it is still in xmodem mode (but
the BootROM actually started the NAND image).

xmodem: Connection timed out

Please let me know if there is any idea that you want me to try.

Thanks,
Tony