kwboot: Testing latest kwboot with Kirkwood SoC boards

Pali Rohár pali at kernel.org
Fri Nov 5 09:38:28 CET 2021

Hello!

On Thursday 04 November 2021 23:27:32 Tony Dinh wrote:
> Hi Marek and Pali,
>
> First off all, thanks for your hughe work on this. I have a few Armada
> 38x boards that I had quite a hard time running kwboot in the past.
> Hopefully, I will have more luck with the new kwboot.
>
> Here is a problem I've found running kwboot on the Zyxel NSA310S NAS
> (Kirkwood 6702). The target is a Pogoplug V4 (Kirkwood 6192 SoC). Same
> behavior was observed running kwboot on this Pogoplug V4 to boot the
> NSA310S target.
>
> - kwboot build version
>
> ./kwboot-2021/kwboot
> kwboot version 2022.01-rc1-00034-gbc18582a14
>
> - kwboot session log
>
> ./kwboot-2021/kwboot -t -p -B 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0 -b
> uboot.2021.07-tld-1.pogo_v4.mtd0.kwb
> Patching image boot signature to UART
> Aligning image header to Xmodem block size
> Sending boot message. Please reboot the target...\
> Waiting 2s and flushing tty
> Sending boot image header (480 bytes)...
>  26 % [....                                                                  ]
> Done
>
> U-Boot 2021.04-tld-1 (Jun 10 2021 - 20:46:14 -0700)
> Pogoplug V4
>
> SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6192_A1
> DRAM:  128 MiB
> NAND:  128 MiB
> MMC:
> environment
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   eth0: ethernet-controller at 72000
> 88E1116 Initialized on ethernet-controller at 72000
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  9
>  8
>  7
>
> As you can see above, it looks like the u-boot header transfer was
> completed but the u-boot image transfer did not start. Seems like
> BootROM did not recognize the header is UART.

Yes, it looks like that kwbimage header was refused by the bootroom.

Do you have some older U-Boot binary in .kwb format which you can
successfully boot? Or are you able to boot that U-Boot binary via some
older version of kwboot?

I would like to inspect some working setup, so need some U-Boot binary
which can be successfully transferred.