buildman stops (crashed) on current master

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Thu Oct 7 15:43:37 CEST 2021

Hi Stefano,

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 04:37, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> CI stops by building aarch64 without notice, for reference:
>
> https://source.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-imx/-/jobs/332319
>
> There is no error, just process is killed. It looks like it stops at
> xilinx_zynqmp_virt,
>
> ./tools/buildman/buildman -o /tmp -P -E -W aarch64but board can be built
> without issues.
>
> If I build on my host (not in docker, anyway), it generally builds fine
> - but it crashes sometimes, too. On gitlab instance , it crashes.
> Issue does not seem that depends on merged patches, and introduces
> boards were already built successfully. Any hint ? I have also no idea
> what I should look as what I see is just
>
> "usr/bin/bash: line 104:    24 Killed
> ./tools/buildman/buildman -o /tmp -P -E -W aarch64"

I cannot see that link. I am not sure what is going on. Does it say
what signal killed it?

Does it sit there for an hour and timeout? If so, then I  did see that
myself once recently, when the Kconfig needed stdin, but I could not
quitetie it down. I think buildman would provide it, but sometimes
not, apparently. So it can happen when there is an existing build
there and your new one which adds Kconfig options that don't have
defaults, or something like that?

If that is it, you can repeat it by clearing out your .bm-work
directory then building just that board for one commit, then the next
(with the Kconfig change).

Buildman is supposed to handle this, of course. I'm not sure what has changed.

Regards,
Simon