kirkwood stack size

Marek Behún marek.behun at nic.cz
Thu Oct 28 00:07:53 CEST 2021

Hello Stefan,

do you have some ARM Kirkwood board? I am working on some env patches,
because the code in the env/ directory is a pain in the ass of old
relics, and Kirkwood is the only platform using the eeprom environment
driver.

I would like to ask about Kirkwood stack size.

In arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/include/mach/config.h it says

/* Kirkwood has 2k of Security SRAM, use it for SP */
#define CONFIG_SYS_INIT_SP_ADDR		0xC8012000

So if I understand correctly, Kirkwood has only 2k of init stack.

But the env_eeprom_load() method in env/eeprom.c allocates a
CONFIG_ENV_SIZE bytes long array for environment, and CONFIG_ENV_SIZE
is 2k.

Is the init stack changed to another stack before environment is loaded?
I couldn't find code which would do that. As far as I am able to
determine, this 2k long init stack is used, and this means that the
code in env/eeprom.c is wrong, since it allocates below stack space.

Maybe no one used newer U-Boot on Kirkwood for a long time and this was
not noticed? Should we remove support for Kirkwood?

Marek