(overlapping) lmb allocations during boot

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 31 12:44:00 CET 2021

> Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 11:43:38 +0100
> From: Michael Walle <michael at walle.cc>
>
> Hi,
>
> I sometimes see a corrupted initrd during kernel boot on my board
> (kontron_sl28). Debugging showed that in this case the spin table
> for the secondary CPUs overlaps with the lmb initrd allocations
> (initrd_high is set).
>
> I had a look at how the fdt and initrd are relocated (if enabled). In
> summary, they use lmb_alloc() which will first add all available memory
> and then carve out reserved regions. There are calls for arch
> (arch_lmb_reserve()) and board (board_lmb_reserve()) callbacks. The
> interesting thing is that, there is also code to carve out any
> reserved regions which were added to the fdt earlier
> (boot_fdt_add_mem_rsv_regions()). The problem here is, that the DT
> fixups,
> which might add the reserved regions are called just before jumping to
> linux. Thus both the allocation for the fdt (if fdt_high is set) and
> the ramdisk (if initrd_high is set) will ignore any reserved memory
> regions.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't see any good way to fix this. You'd need all the
> DT fixups before we can initialize the lmb. Also, I don't know if this
> will affect any other areas; probably I'm the only one, who reserves an
> area which is outside of the u-boot code and data segment.
>
> A hackish way would be to carve out the spin_table code in
> board_lmb_reserve(). But meh..

The spin table is embedded in the u-boot binary itself isn't it?  But
the memory occupied by the u-boot should already be reserved...

Unless CONFIG_EFI_LOADER is defined.  Then it relocates the spin table
to memory allocated using efi_allocate_pages().  But that function
only looks at the EFI memory map to figure out what memory is
available.  So I suspect that it might hand out the same memory as
lmb_alloc().  It all looks a bit broken to me...

Does your target end up with CONFIG_EFI_LOADER defined?