Status of the various RISC-V specification and policy

Palmer Dabbelt palmer at dabbelt.com
Wed Sep 29 00:43:55 CEST 2021

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 13:05:53 PDT (-0700), atishp at atishpatra.org wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Palmer Dabbelt <palmer at dabbelt.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 08:57:15 PDT (-0700), markhimelstein at riscv.org wrote:
>> > the words in this document :
>> >
>> > https://wiki.riscv.org/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=13098230#content/view/13098230
>> >
>> > make it very clear when changes are allowed or not and likely or not.
>> >
>> > if you think the verbiage is somehow ambiguous please help us make it better.
>>
>> I'm not really worried about changes, I'm worried about a committment to
>> future compatibility.  When we take code into the kernel (and most other
>> core systems projects) we're taking on the burden of supporting (until
>> someone can prove there are no more users), which is very difficult to
>> do when the ISA changes in an incompatible fashion.  The whole point of
>> agreeing on the frozen thing was that it gave us a committment from the
>> specifcation authors that the future ISA would be compatible with th
>> frozen extensions.
>>
>> We're already in this spot with the V extension and the whole stable
>> thing, this definitaion of frozen looks very much like what was has led
>> to the issues there.  Saying the spec won't change really isn't
>> meaningful, it's saying future specs will be compatible that's
>> important.  Nothing in this whole rule touches on compatibility, and I
>> really don't want to end up in a bigger mess than we're already in.
>>
>> (Also: some PGE subcontractor drove a crane into my house, so things are
>> a bit chaotic on my end.  If you have that list of what's officially
>> frozen, can you send it out?  I'll try to take a look ASAP, as then I
>> can at least focus the discussion on what's relevant right now.)
>
> Here is the list of the specs that are frozen.
> https://wiki.riscv.org/display/TECH/ISA+Extensions+On+Deck+for+Freeze+Milestone

How does that indicate what is frozen?  I see "ISA Extensions On Deck
for Freeze Milestone" as the title, which makes it sound like these are
extension that are not yet frozen but will be eventually.

Scrolling down to the end of that list, it lists pointer masking.  The
best I can find is
https://github.com/riscv/riscv-j-extension/blob/master/pointer-masking-proposal.adoc
, which says "Version: v0.1-draft", which definately doesn't sound
frozen.  The README says "Working Draft of the RISC-V J Extension
Specification", which also doesn't sound frozen.