Status of the various RISC-V specification and policy

Palmer Dabbelt palmer at dabbelt.com
Thu Sep 30 23:31:23 CEST 2021

On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 10:38:02 PDT (-0700), markhimelstein at riscv.org wrote:
> The following is the extension lifecycle. It includes the official names
> going forward for each phase. We are trying to resolve any confusion naming
> and numbering and are still in progress of this evolution:
>
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nQ5uFb39KA6gvUi5SReWfIQSiRN7hp6z7ZPfctE4mKk/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Again, if we can improve anything to make it clearer or if we got something
> wrong, please let us know.

That is, unfortunately, even more confusing.

Slide 3 lists the milestones, but that uses very different terms than
the "Specification States" wiki entry I was linked to earlier as the
canonical definition of the process.  I'm also now less sure about what
exactly is being frozen, as the slides seem to mix up extension and
specification (which is the core of what I'm worried about).

Looking at slide 4 (titled "Extension Lifecycle"), I see a bunch of
version number looking strings (things like "v0.1" and "v1.0-rcN
(final)").  Are those versions, and if so what do they version?

It also says "v1.0 (ratified)" with an arrow pointing directly after
"TSC Ratification Review & Vote", but in the v-1.0 tag I see "Once ratified,
the spec will be given version 2.0."  Are these version-number-looking
strings supposed to be things that exist within the same namespace?

Just loking over the slide again I see "New or Changed Features
Specification Development become a new extension -- Go back to the top
left".  That sort of seems like something that might help answer some of
my core questionsn here around what's allowed to change when, but I'm
genuinely not sure how to parse the words.  Might not be the most
important thing to focus on now, though.