binman and faked blobs failures

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Apr 11 23:28:30 CEST 2022

Hey,

So here's a problem I have.  Today if I'm in a branch that has a commit
that's not in it's upstream branch (so lets say I'm testing a bunch of
patches I grabbed from patchwork in a local branch that knows master is
the upstream) and I do:

export SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=1649712313
./tools/buildman/buildman -o /tmp/chromebook_samus -devl --step 0 -b testing -SBC chromebook_samus
Building 2 commits for 2 boards (2 threads, 8 jobs per thread)
01: linux/mtd/mtd.h: Add <dm/ofnode.h>
       x86:  w+   chromebook_samus
+(chromebook_samus) Image 'main-section' is missing external blobs and is non-functional: intel-descriptor intel-me intel-refcode intel-vga intel-mrc
+(chromebook_samus) Image 'main-section' has faked external blobs and is non-functional: descriptor.bin me.bin refcode.bin vga.bin mrc.bin
+(chromebook_samus)
+(chromebook_samus) Some images are invalid
02: HACK
       x86:  +   chromebook_samus
+(chromebook_samus) binman: Node '/binman/rom/intel-descriptor': Cannot find Intel Flash Descriptor (FD) signature
+(chromebook_samus) make[1]: *** [Makefile:1101: all] Error 1
+(chromebook_samus) make: *** [Makefile:177: sub-make] Error 2
01: linux/mtd/mtd.h: Add <dm/ofnode.h>
       x86:  w+   chromebook_samus_tpl
+(chromebook_samus_tpl) Image 'main-section' is missing external blobs and is non-functional: intel-descriptor intel-me intel-refcode intel-vga intel-mrc
+(chromebook_samus_tpl) Image 'main-section' has faked external blobs and is non-functional: descriptor.bin me.bin refcode.bin vga.bin mrc.bin
+(chromebook_samus_tpl)
+(chromebook_samus_tpl) Some images are invalid
02: HACK
       x86:  +   chromebook_samus_tpl
+(chromebook_samus_tpl) binman: Node '/binman/rom/intel-descriptor': Cannot find Intel Flash Descriptor (FD) signature
+(chromebook_samus_tpl) make[1]: *** [Makefile:1101: all] Error 1
+(chromebook_samus_tpl) make: *** [Makefile:177: sub-make] Error 2
    0    2    2 /4              chromebook_samus_tpl
Completed: 4 total built, duration 0:00:31, rate 0.13

Note that nothing changed for the board but on the second build now the
faked blob is unhappy and causes a failure message that I don't see the
first time, and probably shouldn't see this time either?  This is a
problem for me in that it's on most x86 boards and so makes it easier to
miss other real build failures in my testing.

--
Tom