binman and faked blobs failures

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Tue Apr 19 23:54:21 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 at 11:30, Alper Nebi Yasak <alpernebiyasak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/04/2022 00:28, Tom Rini wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Note that nothing changed for the board but on the second build now the
> > faked blob is unhappy and causes a failure message that I don't see the
> > first time, and probably shouldn't see this time either?  This is a
> > problem for me in that it's on most x86 boards and so makes it easier to
> > miss other real build failures in my testing.
>
> Yeah, the root cause here is that fake files created in the first build
> are interpreted as actual files in subsequent builds. Simon already
> added a TODO in binman.rst for cleaning them up, I intend to give it a
> try but didn't have the time to experiment.

Yes, this is:

- Put faked files into a separate subdir and remove them on start-up, to avoid
  seeing them as 'real' files on a subsequent run

I believe it is quite easy, since we create the fake files in a single
place - check_fake_fname() - and can simply add another subdir into
the path we create (e.g. 'fakeblobs/'. Then, when binman, it can
remove that subdir, in control.py before tools.finalise_output_dir()
is called. The test for it should not be too bad either.

Alper if you have time, give it a crack. Otherwise I can look at it,
but will be out for a few weeks so not sure when.

Regards,
Simon