Early debug UART not working on AM33XX SoC

Felix Brack fb at ltec.ch
Tue Feb 1 17:54:44 CET 2022

Hello Simon,

On 01.02.22 15:05, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2022 at 03:48, Felix Brack <fb at ltec.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Simon,
>>
>> On 31.01.22 17:12, Simon Glass wrote:
>>> Hi Felix,

>>> Despite the board_ prefix you can define it in an SoC file, for
>>> example. It may not always be board-specific.
>>>
>> Thanks for the hint! In fact I was not aware of that. However for the
>> PDU001 board board_debug_uart_init() must remain with the board as it
>> (also) configures the pin multiplexer which is specific to the PDU001 board.
>>
>> For the patch to be useful for other boards too, I think a platform
>> specific function is required. A weak function named something like
>> platform_debug_uart_init(). This function could then be implemented in
>> the platform specific board.c file, in my case the one for AM33XX.
>
> Would it be OK to create a non-weak function that is called from
> board_debug_uart_init()?
>
>From what I understand board_debug_uart_init() is (and should remain) a
board specific function. Looking at the boards enabling CONFIG_AM33XX I
believe mine is currently the only one using board_debug_uart_init().
Hence all other boards enabling CONFIG_AM33XX would have to add a
similar board_debug_uart_init() function to get fixed. In fact all ARM
boards would probably have to do so.
I think "board" is the wrong "level" to fix this, "SoC or platform" is
the better "level".
By the way: my quick and dirt fix does exactly that. It adds a call to
setup_clocks_for_console() in my board's board_debug_uart_init(). So for
me that would be fine.

> But yes we could create another function. How about
> soc_debug_uart_init() as a name, though?

Agreed. It is probably better to use soc_ instead of platform_. The idea
behind using a weak function is as follows: it allows placing the call
to the new function soc_debug_uart_init() in the generic
debug_uart_init() function found in debug_uart.h, just before the
existing call to board_debug_uart_init(). This would make it available
to everybody.

>> But where to place the default, empty implementation? In the common file
>> board_init.c probably?
>
> At present we have a CONFIG option to enable board_debug_uart_init()
> so we could do the same for soc. But should it run first or second?
Yes using CONFIG options is of course possible too. But then my idea of
placing it into the generic debug_uart_init() function is bad.
>From my point of view such a new function should be called first. I
would justify that decision with the idea of the more generic things
(related to the SoC/platform) to be done before the more specific things
(related to the board). But that could just as well be inverted by
somebody having a different point of view.

> That is why I feel that doing everything from board_debug_uart_init()
> might be better.

Absolutely, as proven by my quick and (probably not so) dirty fix
described above. But this is then best left to the individual ARM board
maintainers. I only know how to fix this for AM33XX boards. I don't even
know if it is a problem on none AM33XX boards at all.

--
Regards, Felix