Commit 4f2e2280862a ("RFC: arm: pci: Add PCI cam support to PCI-E ecam driver")

Pali Rohár pali at kernel.org
Wed Feb 9 17:32:17 CET 2022

On Wednesday 09 February 2022 08:24:27 Alistair Delva wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 8:09 AM Pali Rohár <pali at kernel.org> wrote:

> > > I will try, but as noted by Mark, we are not the sole user of this
> > > device and we certainly don't own the definition of it. It just
> > > happens to be the device that was chosen for emulation by crosvm.
> >
> > I'm still sceptical that there is any other user... I checked all U-Boot
> > drivers and there was no such HW, no such driver. And because
> > PCI Mechanism #2 has some kind of memory mapped config space access I'm
> > in impression that it was #2 what was used on real HW. As I was
> > confirmed that there was real HW with #2 support. And this could explain
> > possible mix of #1 and #2 which I described in previous emails.
>
> Just to be clear, we're talking about this device:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pci/host-generic-pci.yaml

This document _mainly_ describes ECAM, which is standard and heavily
used... There are just two or three mentions about CAM, but nothing
more.

> This is used by other physical hardware in the real world, supported
> by Linux.

This applies for ECAM and in that document are already such examples.
But nothing for google crossvm CAM.

> Just because U-Boot has no support for these devices doesn't
> mean the device doesn't exist.

U-Boot supports ECAM and more drivers are based on ECAM.

But here in this discussion for commit 4f2e2280862a we are talking about
something different.

> > > Yes, and we're mostly using the QEMU backend in U-Boot. We're using it
> > > as a virtual device reference for Android, and U-Boot's ability to
> > > boot Android boot.imgs has been very useful.

> > > Understood. We'll send a patch to fix it (soon hopefully).

> > > I'm afraid I don't agree. The DT binding for U-Boot should be the same
> > > as the DT binding for Linux, and as Linux calls this
> > > "pci-host-cam-generic", and this device has really nothing to do with
> > > Google, I don't think it should be changed.
> >
> > Well, if bindings is incorrect then it should be fixed. And argument
> > that somebody use something incorrect is not the reason to expand its
> > usage.
> >
> > I was really trying to find some other user of such thing, but seems
> > that this google crosvm is the only current user.
> >
> > Lets start doing it properly. You are targeting support for google
> > crossvm (virtual hardware), so name it according to scheme like it is
> > used for other vendors.
> >
> > There are many PCIe hardware parts based on Synopsys Designware IPs, and
> > probably this is the most common usage nowadays. But even Designware
> > drivers do not use "generic" bindings and instead are named
> > specifically.
> >
> > So if something seems to be marked as generic, it is Designware used by
> > many HW, and not something which is used currently only by google
> > crossvm.
>
> From the document I linked above, it looks like pci-host-cam-generic
> is the right name to use for the variant of the controller with no
> quirks. The other variants are used to handle quirks.

And I explained above that it is not the right name. I'm not talking
here about ECAM (which is fully correct and should stay as it is) but
about that cam. And I still have not seen usage, example, driver or
implementation where is used that "cam" except for crossvm, yet.