Which board to select for "Rasbperry Pi 4B"

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Fri Feb 18 19:08:24 CET 2022

On 2/18/22 18:06, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 01:34:08PM +0700, Tom Hale wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing that many of U-boot's users are on Raspberry Pi boards?
>>
>> Which board should I select at the board select page:
>>
>> https://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/BoardSelect
>
> This is for a specific combination of U-Boot and a Linux distribution
> and not general U-Boot documentation.

Our documentation for boards is maintained in the source repository
available at https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot in directory
doc/boards and published in https://u-boot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/.
Unfortunately a documenation for Broadcom based boards is missing.

@Matthias:
Could you, please, add a page?

We have these defconfigs for Raspberry:

configs/rpi_0_w_defconfig
configs/rpi_2_defconfig
configs/rpi_3_32b_defconfig
configs/rpi_3_b_plus_defconfig
configs/rpi_3_defconfig
configs/rpi_4_32b_defconfig
configs/rpi_4_defconfig
configs/rpi_arm64_defconfig
configs/rpi_defconfig

rpi_arm64_defconfig was added in 5694090670e262b0 with this comment:

Provide a defconfig which allows us to boot Raspberrry Pi 4
and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B/B+
Instead of using the embedded DTB as done in RPi3 we use the
devicetree provided by the firmware.

Concerning the original question concerning the RPi 4B:

If you want to build a 32bit U-Boot, choose rpi_4_32b_defconfig.
If you want to build a 64bit U-Boot, choose rpi_arm64_defconfig.

The 64bit U-Boot can only load a 64bit kernel. But Raspbian's 64bit
kernel can be combined with a 32bit userland.

For a new system I would always go with a 64bit OS.

Best regards

Heinrich