[EXTERNAL] Re: Device Tree Overlays and FIT Images - Are they supported together fully?

Westermann, Oliver Oliver.Westermann at cognex.com
Mon Feb 28 09:58:30 CET 2022

Hey Marcel,

> On Sat, 2022-02-19 at 00:38 +0000, Ziswiler, Marcel wrote:
> I am not sure whether I fully understand the issue(s) you are having.

Same here ;-) I did some more work on this, best described as copying a lot of commands from my notepad back and forth. I think you confirmed my underlying issue here:
Your process is "take a FIT, move the dtb out of FIT image, apply the overlays, boot it". The documentation in overlay-fdt-boot.txt never mentions to move the dtb file out of the FIT image and it bugged me a lot that I was doing a (seemingly) unneeded step, but it seems the step is correct and just not documented.

> Let me just post the (hopefully) relevant excerpts:

First of all, this looks like how I got it to work, so this tells me at least I wasn't completly off-track here.

> # Re-enable fdt relocation since in place fdt edits corrupt the ramdisk # in a FIT image...
> env set fdt_high
> env set fdt_resize true

Can you give me a bit more info on your use of the fdt_resize? I know the fdt resize command and I assume thats what you're calling underneath, but I would like to get a better understanding on what is done so I'm not missing anything.

> I hope that gives you some ideas how to overcome your struggle. Good luck!

I did quite a lot, thanks!

- Olli