mkimage_fit_atf.sh: not found

ZHIZHIKIN Andrey andrey.zhizhikin at leica-geosystems.com
Thu Jan 6 11:07:51 CET 2022

Hello Tim,

Because the FIT generator script has been broken after commit 3f04db891a
("image: Check for unit addresses in FITs"), which has covered CVE-2021-27138.
You can see the reasoning of merging d9a6f0eed6 ("tree: imx: remove old fit
generator script") in the commit message.

In addition, d9a6f0eed6 ("tree: imx: remove old fit generator script") has
been introduced as a part of discussion stemmed from [1], where it has been
pointed out that certain boards are still using old FIT generator which is
not working, and I've listed those board config files for maintainers to react.

Binman CI missing binaries verification came later I believe, that is the
reason we are seeing those conversions pending. But this is unrelated to the
FIT generator script removal, which was broken anyways.

> > > As far as I can tell the other boards that are still using
> > > SPL_FIT_GENERATOR also fail due to this (ie imx8mm_beacon_defconfig,
> > > imx8mq_evk_defconfig, imx8mm-icore-mx8mm-edimm2.2_defconfig, etc).
> >
> > imx8mq_evk is already converted and I've sent a patch for it, see [1].
> >

> > > What is the state of the binman conversion? I submitted a series to
> > > convert my boards to binman and it has just been sitting without any
> > > response for months now [1].
> >
> > I believe that the reason for your series sitting in the queue is the same as
> > for imx8mq_evk: missing binary blobs (ATF and DDR) are failing CI builds.
> >

> Right, so imx8mq_evk (and others) are completely broken for the
> pending release correct?

That is correct, and there are patches to address this.

There is also a patch series from Heiko to address the "missing binary" CI issue, see [2].

> Sounds like we need to revert d9a6f0eed6 ("tree: imx: remove old fit
> generator script")

No, because reverting this patch would bring the FIT generator which
does not produce correct images due to reasons stated above.

If there are plans to revert it - then it should also be complemented with
the patch that fixes the FIT generator. I'm not sure if this is a desired
behavior to bring back old functionality and fix it for the sake of removing
it at the later stage.

Link: [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/AM6PR06MB46912C898E0D6EA797D1EB5EA6C49@AM6PR06MB4691.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com/
Link: [2]: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/20220105125816.197045-1-heiko.thiery@gmail.com/