[RFC] imx: imx8qm-rom7720: switch to binman

Oliver Graute oliver.graute at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:32:01 CET 2022

On 10/01/22, ZHIZHIKIN Andrey wrote:
> Hello Oliver,

will do it on next submission

> > ---
> >
> > Run into this issue on the first try to get binman working:
> >
> > make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'SPL'.
> >   BINMAN  flash.bin
> >   MKIMAGE flash.bin
> > Error: spl/u-boot-spl.cfgout[16] - Invalid command (LOADER)
> > arch/arm/mach-imx/Makefile:190: recipe for target 'flash.bin' failed
> > make[1]: *** [flash.bin] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** Deleting file 'flash.bin'
> > Makefile:1519: recipe for target 'flash.bin' failed
> > make: *** [flash.bin] Error 2
> >
> > Some clue howto fix that?
>
> This might be due to the fact that you're using the same u-boot-nodtb.bin binary twice: once in binman section, and once in ITB. You can try to rename the binman entry to a different name, this might do the trick. See [1] for sample of imx8mq_evk conversion.

ok I think I fixed that. I dropped additionally the following
statements:

make u-boot.bin
make flash.bin

just make is enough here or?

But still get this warning even if CONFIG_SPL_FIT_GENERATOR is disabled.

make imx8qm_rom7720_a1_4G_defconfig && make
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf  --syncconfig Kconfig
  CFG     u-boot.cfg
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
  CFG     spl/u-boot.cfg
  GEN     spl/include/autoconf.mk
===================== WARNING ======================
This board uses CONFIG_SPL_FIT_GENERATOR. Please migrate
to binman instead, to avoid the proliferation of
arch-specific scripts with no tests.

> Is there any documentation available for this board that
> needs adaptions with new build instructions? I was not able
> to locate any doc for this board at all...

You find the doc here:

doc/board/advantech/imx8qm-rom7720-a1.rst

> What I see is missing in this section is SECO and SCFW binaries.

> Can i.MX8QM boot without those? Otherwise generated image will be unusable.

you are right. This is still missing. Can you point me to a example with
SECO and SCFW?

> This binman configuration suggests that there are 2 binaries that
> should be populated onto the bootable media: flash.bin and
> u-boot.itb. Can you please convert them to use a single binary?
> Sample code for this is also in [1].
>
> Link: [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/20211203161802.12699-1-andrey.zhizhikin@leica-geosystems.com/

thx for your suggestions

Best regards,