[RFC 1/1] efi_loader: rename 'efidebug boot' 'bootefi'

Heinrich Schuchardt heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com
Mon Jan 17 10:25:01 CET 2022

On 1/17/22 08:58, Ilias Apalodimas wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 10:16:51AM +0900, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 01:49:07AM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
>>> The efidebug command was conceived for testing purposes.
>>
>> Well, I initially implemented the command as an alternative of
>> "EFI shell" as the shell was not able to run on EFI U-Boot at that time.
>>
>>> The manipulation of boot options does better fit to the bootefi command
>>> that is used to invoke the boot manager.
>>
>> I believe that it would be best to have those two features
>> in separate commands(/applications) since the bootefi/bootmgr be focused
>> on booting EFI images while efidebug/EFI shell provides a kind of
>> user interfaces for manipulating the system.
>>
>> *If* you dare to move the code to bootefi/bootmgr, I'd ask you to honor
>> and add my copyright to the file as "efidebug boot" feature is a core part
>> of efidebug. Or export sub-command functions from efidebug.c and import
>> them in bootefi.c.
>
> I think renaming the efidebug command is overall good idea,  since it does
> way more that debugging.  OTOH I think moving it to 'bootefi' is the wrong
> way to go.  I'd be much happier if we kept bootefi for booting related
> commands and purposes and rename 'efidebug' to 'efi'.  Then we could split
> off the debug related commands to 'efi debug xxxxxxxxx' and put it under a
> Kconfig option.

For me the important thing is that we should be able enable boot options
related commands without the rest of efidebug to limit code size increase.

efidebug boot is only needed if CONFIG_CMD_BOOTEFI_BOOTMGR=y.

efidebug capsule is only needed for testing on QEMU, Sandbox if capsules
are enabled. I can't see that a normal user would ever use it.

efidebug devices, drivers, dh, images, memmap, query, tables is only
needed for debugging and should be disabled by default.

efidebug test is only needed on the Sandbox.

All commands lack documentation in /doc/usage/

Best regards

Heinrich