Compile only changed files when doing 'make'?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Jan 25 18:34:51 CET 2022

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 03:50:43PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm working on a Renesas supplied port of U-Boot, and it seems that
> 'make' always compiles every single (configured) source file instead
> compiling only the source files that have been changed since the
> previous 'make'.  I've never run into this before on projects that use
> 'make', and it makes development of U-Boot rather grueling.
>
> Is that due to something Renesas broke?
>
> Or is that a "feature" of the standard U-Boot Makefile?

So, it partly depends on what version of U-Boot that you're working on
top of.  It's still to me a relatively recent set of improvements that
fix a number of reproducible build changes and so that with a constant
SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH nothing is rebuilt that hasn't changed, and so it's
also true that re-running "make" only rebuilds the few files that would
change due to time stamp usage, which has also been corrected.

--
Tom