[RFCv2] doc: develop: Describe system configuration

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Jul 29 16:46:45 CEST 2022

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 09:03:00AM +0200, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 7/28/22 20:53, Tom Rini wrote:
> > Start by describing in general the best practices for how to implement
> > configuration of some aspect of U-Boot.  This generally means finding
> > the right choices for when something should be static or dynamically
> > configured and enabled.  Then further document when to use CONFIG or CFG
> > namespaces for static configuration.
[snip]
> > +#. Simple run time. One example here are chip revision checks. Another is
>
> %s/Simple run time\./Run time feature detection./

I'm trying to differentiate between "check this register content" or
"read this EEPROM" from "parse the device tree, look for compatible
strings".  I'll try and reword this differently.

> > +   knowing that we've checked GPIOs and are on revision B of a platform, rather
>
> Do you mean: "On some boards the revision may be detected by reading
> GPIOs."?

I'm trying to give some useful examples, but not every example.  So yes,
the check GPIOs A/B/C and see what we get example.

Instead of "simple" I'm going to say hardware based, reword the section
and try and not get too deep in to details.

--
Tom