imx6ull: NAND boot fails when block 0x00000000 is bad

Thierry Bultel thierry.bultel at linatsea.fr
Fri May 13 14:36:01 CEST 2022

Hi,

I have a imx6ull module from Toradex, with NAND flash. U-boot does not
have SPL.
I does not boot from NAND flash anymore, I was able to flash it several
times with tezi, as well as with
nandbcb (that I discovered more recently).

There are error messages complaining about some bad blocks, including
block 0x00000000.

Toradex say that the module cannot be recovered, but this seems in
contradiction with what we can read
from the iMX6 reference manual, where the boot process description
mentions that the ROM can attempt to
seek for FCB several times.

I attempted to use nandbcb to write the FCB at next block, ie 0x20000
(attempting a lower value
makes nandbcb complain that I am not writing to an aligned location),
with no better success.

What is your mind about that ? Sounds that the answer could be in
mis-configured fuses,
else I consider that having block 0x00000000 causes a bricked board, as
a weakness for production,
in other words, an unreliable product.

Best regards
Thierry