Broken support for 4GB DDR on 32-bit platforms

Pali Rohár pali at kernel.org
Wed May 18 17:27:09 CEST 2022

On Wednesday 18 May 2022 11:18:18 Tom Rini wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 03:19:19PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:

> > > Interesting.  Maybe you just have to do the 36BIT games on that SoC, to
> > > support what you're trying to do.  If anyone at NXP knows something
> > > perhaps they'll chime in.
> >
> > Why? It is issue in U-Boot and affects all 32-bit platforms not only powerpc/NXP.
>
> I disagree.  It's working as intended with other 32bit platforms, unless

It really cannot work. See my previous emails with exact description. It
is mathematical limitation that you cannot store 4GB size of RAM into
U-Boot's gd structure. Maximal number which can be stored into ulong
type on 32-bit platforms is 2^32-1 which is less than 4GB.

So if U-Boot detects 4GB DDR module it crashes prior it tries to "limit"
usage just to e.g. 2GB.

> it's stopped working on dra7xx_evm with >2GB memory (which I don't have,
> unfortunately).  If you can't configure the memory controller to know
> that 4GB exists, but limit yourself to running within 2GB, that's a
> SoC-specific problem.

Have you really read what I wrote? It is not SoC-specific problem. Full
size of RAM (not mapped memory by U-Boot which may be less than full
size of RAM) is stored in gd->ram_size variable. And this variable is
cast to ulong type which cannot store 4GB. This is common U-Boot code,
not something SoC specific.

Plus CONFIG_MAX_MEM_MAPPED is ignored in some cases which I also
described in previous email. And code for ignoring is again **not** SoC
specific, but generic in common U-Boot code.