[RFC] Data structure for information handoff between firmware boot stages

Jose Marinho Jose.Marinho at arm.com
Mon May 30 11:23:45 CEST 2022

Good morning Simon,

Thank you for reviewing the FW handoff ALP0 spec proposal, and for your comments.

We have integrated your comments and iterated the spec proposal to ALP1.
The ALP1 document can be obtained here: https://developer.arm.com/documentation/den0135/a

A quick summary of the comments you made:
- rename handoff list since it can easily be confused with the HOB list (HOB list = HandOff Block list): we've adopted the term "Transfer List".
- rename node to entry.
- rename Host to Application Processor (Host for embedded developers is the development host and so was a confusing term to denote the main processor on the target/board)
- rename payload to data.
- don't use CRC-32 for the checksum (it requires 1Kb of constants for a SW implementation): adopted a simple sum to 0 scheme (similar to ACPI tables).
- mandate entry and list alignment to 16-bytes rather than 8-bytes.
- allow entries to have arbitrary size instead of mandating multiples of 8 bytes. (this requires a small padding area at the end of each entry whose size is not a multiple of 16 bytes).
- Create a new entry for a full set of ACPI tables: this requirement does not originate in ACPI, but it's rather a result of the legacy u-boot ACPI table creation code.

Hopefully this is a complete recount 😊. Please let us know if something is missing.

Note that for the ACPI table aggregate, we opted to mandate an RSDP at the start of the entry. The RSDP then points to a RSDT or XSDT (or both).

Also, In your comments you requested an entry type specific for the TCPA or TPM2 ACPI tables.  This makes for a quicker TPM log retrieval.
For this release we were asked to keep the number of ACPI entry types to a minimum.
For now, we can leverage the generic ACPI table entry (tag_id=4) to carry the TCPA or TPM2 tables.
Having said this, the intent is for communities to request the entry definitions that they require.
Hopefully this more specific TPM2/TCPA entry can be soon integrated as a community contribution!

Please let us know if you (and the u-boot community) have additional comments on the ALP1 spec.

Kind Regards,
Jose