uboot not loading ramdisk

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon Sep 12 15:34:42 CEST 2022

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Sept 2022 at 16:38, noman pouigt <variksla at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am creating a boot.img using below command:
> mkimage -D "-I dts -O dtb -p 1024" -f boot.its boot.img
> https://ideone.com/OyHuGz -- .its file
>
> Using this boot.img I am able to see this in the device:
> ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 70065000
>
> but no logs for ramdisk loading. Later during kernel boot getting
> below:
> Initramfs unpacking failed: invalid magic at start of compressed archive
>
> However, when I have below .its file and directly flashing the fitImage
> then it is able to mount initramfs.
> https://ideone.com/RFFLGj -- its file
>
> So I am assuming that ramdisk inside the boot.img is not proper, to confirm
> I extracted using below command:
> dumpimage -T flat_dt -l boot.img -p 1 -o ramdisk"
>
> This extracted ramdisk and the supplied ramdisk to mkimage are not
> matching at all.
>
> Any pointers to fix this problem will really help.

You might check that U-Boot is entering select_ramdisk() correctly
when the 'bootm' command runs, and see what happens there. It should
call fit_image_load() to load the ramdisk. I don't see any logging for
that case though - you can add it if you like.

 I cannot see anything wrong with the .its file.

Regards,
Simon