Question about uboot initialisation

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon Sep 12 15:34:49 CEST 2022

Hi Momo,

On Sun, 11 Sept 2022 at 08:29, momo aubin <aubinno at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> How can I avoid top posting ? i'm a new

You can do a web search for "top posting" which explains the issue
better than I can.

> How uboot know that the kernel has started ?

Generally it does not. U-Boot's job is typically over once it jumps to
the kernel.

> If the system is blocked during the u-boot stage, is it possible to restart all the systems ?
> It is possible to put a timer in the u-boot stage in case of the kernel has not started , can the system reboot by choosing another u-boot ?

You can use a watchdog timer to reboot the system. It can be set up in
U-Boot, then it Linux does not kick it in time, it will cause a
reboot. To choose another U-Boot, you would need to do some scripting,
or use mender. There is some work on VBE going on (U-Boot standard
boot) but it will take a while to all land.

Regards,
SImon