U-Boot support for M68K removal

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Mon Jan 30 19:56:48 CET 2023

Hi,

On 30.1.2023 18.34, Tom Rini wrote:
> That's great to hear. While I started my life on m68k machines, I never
> did get Linux up on one. Do the coldfire platforms you have run U-Boot
> today? If so, are they already supported upstream? One of my biggest
> concerns about the architecture, in U-Boot, is that I've just not heard
> of anyone using it in quite some time, and we don't have any emulated
> platforms either (can it be done in QEMU? We have other plaforms in CI
> via QEMU) so I worry it's not working.

Qemu supports both m68k and ColdFire nowadays:
https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system/target-m68k.html

	- Eero

PS. For m68k there are also a lot of other emulators that emulate
specific platforms.

Aranym, 68040 Atari "clone", used a lot by Debian m68k port before Qemu
got m68k support.

WinAUE, 68000-68040 Amiga emulation.  Unlike Aranym or Qemu, this
emulates also CPU cache.

Hatari, 68000-68040 Atari emulation (based on WinUAE CPU core).

Previous, 68030 NeXT emulator (based on Hatari).