mdt_debug write

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Thu Nov 30 00:57:09 CET 2023

Hi Stephen,

On 28/11/2023 20:07, Stephen Graf wrote:
> Below is the consol log from trying to use mtd_debug write. It returned
> immediately with a strange success message.
>
> root at orangepizero3:~# mtd_debug write /dev/mtd0 0 0xf0000
> /home/sysadmin/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin
> file_to_flash: fread, size 0xf0000, n 0xf0000
> fread(): Success

interesting, I was under the impression that "mtd_debug write" would be
the way to write to flash. In hindsight, the "debug" in that name should
have probably put me off. Anyway, "cat" is probably not a good choice,
"dd" is better, but it looks like "flashcp" (also part of mtdutils) is
the go-to tool, since it does the required erasing automatically and
also reportedly does some error detection. Can you please test this?
# flashcp u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin /dev/mtd0
I would test this on my end ASAP as well.

Do you feel like sending a patch to the U-Boot documentation to get this
changed then?

Thanks,
Andre