ZFS support in custom u-boot build...

Stacey Pellegrino stacey.pellegrino at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 12:22:14 CEST 2023

To all those of concern,

I am in need of help regarding building u-boot with ZFS support for the
Orange Pi 5 Plus.

I have tried working out the following...

https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/22ad69b7987eb4b10221330661db4427e40174fb/doc/README.zfs

The URL link above specifies using the board specific config file, which
for the Orange Pi 5 Plus is (so I believe)
orangepi-build/userpatches/config-default.conf.
I therefore edited this file in question with CONFIG_CMD_ZFS="yes" and
uncommenting the line install_zfs="yes".

However, it still does not allow me to boot with root ZFS on the NVMe SSD
with the official Orange Pi Debian v12 (Bookwork) ARM image. ZFS does not
seem to be referenced in the custom u-boot source code build output as
well. I followed the build instructions located at the following URL link...

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiwiki/index.php/Orange_Pi_5_Plus#Compile_u-boot

...but am I required to apply a patch to the u-boot source for ZFS support?
If so, then that could be my problem. If a patch is required, then how
would I go about applying this accordingly?

Thank you in advance for help in this matter. Kindest regards, -Stacey
Pellegrino